Sunday, January 26, 2020

Word of the Day

floccinaucinihilipilification

PRONUNCIATION:
(FLOK-si-NO-si-NY-HIL-i-PIL-i-fi-KAY-shuhn) 

MEANING:
noun: Estimating as worthless.

RING-RING
RING-RING
Cmmdr:  (reluctantly) Hello?  
ENSIGN: (sobbing, blubbering, heaves of tears)Oh god!
-pause-
CMMDR:  Oh, its you. Look, I have to go about my day. I have errands, to-dos, bills, etc. Will this take long?
E: No, I just need help. Just a quick assessment. 
CMMDR: Okay, okay…..(realy put upon) I guess I can spare a moment.
E: Thank you. 
CMMDR:  So, let’s begin:…unemployed?
E: For months.
CMMDR: Hopeless?
E: It’s a dark, dark tunnel.
CMMDR: Aging and a bit doddering?
E: Knees ache, fingers don’t work, my life is doctors and checking my phone. 
CMMDR: Basically the end of the line?
E: Yes, this train is going out of service. 
CMMDR:  Allright.  Good. (pause) Let me think….let me think…
E: Thank you, I knew you’d understand.
-a slight pause-
CMMDR: I have it. 
E: OH GOOD. THANK YOU. WHAT?
CMMDR: (screaming to someone in another room)  LOOK UNDER THE CRATES OF WATER! THE CRATES OF WATER. THE CARTONS AND CARTONS OF BOTTLED WATER.  YOU CAN'T MISS THEM.(back to the phone) Sorry.  (screaming) WHAT? IN THE FRONT! BY THE DOOR. (back to the phone) Allright….I don’t say this lightly.
E: Yes?
CMMDR: And I mean no disrespect.
E: Of course not.
CMMDR:  And You know that over the years we’ve shared some good times and an equal amount of bad times.  So please take this in the spirit it is given.
E:  Yes, YES, WHAT IS IT?  TELL ME.
CMMDR: You, my friend, are a victim of  floccinaucinihilipilification.
E: Estimating as Worthless?
CMMDR: Bingo.  Now I must go about my day.
-click-


No comments: