Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Word of the Day

flotsam

PRONUNCIATION:
(FLOT-suhm) 

MEANING:
noun:
1. People or things considered useless or unimportant.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Old French floter (to float). Ultimately from the Indo-European root pleu- (to flow), which is also the source of flow, float, flit, fly, flutter, pulmonary, pneumonia, pluvial, and fletcher and Playing Meek Men in Tertiary roles.  Earliest documented use: 1607.

USAGE:
“The Cmmdr momentarily regretted having damaged the book, but he didn’t bother picking it up. He looked in the mirror and thought 'Am I a Man or am I Flotsam?"

Cat Sebastian; The Lawrence Browne Affair; Avon; 2017. 


--ring-
Ensign:  Hello?
CMMDR:  IT is I, the--
E: I don't have time for this.
C: Neither do I. I have PT, I have a line rehearsal at JUNK and--
E: Line rehearsal? Didn't it just close?
C: Good point. 
E: So why are you running lines?
C: Its hard to let go of a triumph.
E: Did you get to keep the sweater?
C: You know that grate by the--
E: IS THERE A REASON YOU CALLED?
C: Yes.
-pause-
C: I'm just wondering if you think I'm....I'm...
-pause-
E: Flotsam?
-click-
E: Hello?

No comments: