Friday, February 26, 2016

Foreign WORD OF THE DAY Dept.

Russian word TOSKA

 – Vladmir Nabokov describes it best: "No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom."

The CMMDR was feeling a shitload of TOSKA.  
He called up the Ensign
-ring-
Ensign:  Yeah?
CMMDR:  Am I bothering you already?
E: That's okay, I had to answer the phone anyway.
C:  Huh, its me who is--I don't understand.
E:  WHAT DO YOU WANT?
C: Its just I'm feeling....
--a long pause--
E:  A pining? A yearning?
C:  YES!!
E: Does it start with a T?
C: Yes.
E: And it rhymes with MOS-KAH?
C: God, YES!
E: Is it "TOSKA"?
--pause--
C: Yes. How did you know?
E:  'Cause you called me five minutes ago, remember?
C: Yes, but the TOSKA is worse now.
--pause-
E: Is it anything specific?
C: You'll hang up on me if I tell you.
E:  I'm going to anyway, so you might as well.
C:  I've been thinking about..
E:  Oh no...whether you got Ronald?
C: Yes..Did YOU HEAR ANYTHING?
E: Yes. Sorry. Just found out.    I got 9 out of 13 and a Producer Credit. I'm leaving for L.A. in the morning.  Then off to Madrid.  Its a great script and a break out role.  I feel blessed.
C: Oh God
--pause--
E:  You're an idiot.

--click-- 


No comments: