Friday, June 10, 2011

A Word A Day Verbatim Dept.


cockalorum
PRONUNCIATION:
(KOK-uh-lor-uhm, -LOAR-) 

MEANING:
noun:
1. A self-important or boastful person.
2. Bragging.
3. "Let Me Tell You About My BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES AUDITION."
4. "This is the first time I've been in the Park since I DID TAMING OF THE SHREW."
5. "Yeah, I turned that down, but good for you."
6.  "I'm really proud of Mary's Body Of Work."
7.  "My character now has a Star Trek Plate."
8.  "*batteries not included?  I remember seeing that when I was a kid."
9.  "Would you like me to run you over with my SUV or just shoot you?"


ETYMOLOGY:
From Middle English cock (rooster), of imitative origin. Earliest documented use: 1715. 
USAGE:
"Sam also has to deal with a cockalorum fellow actor who shares just enough to demoralize him."

No comments: